Friday, July 11, 2014

Micropresentation for my project

The arts tend to get less attention in the curriculum and often are still the first to loose funding or are cut from the curriculum. I plan to add the arts into the STEM equation.  I intend to explore some STEM lessons and bring the arts into equation. I plan to use the studio model of the 4 studio structures and the 8 studio habits of the mind to create and form these STEAM lessons that will culminate in an art project.  For example, I might start with a science SOL bring it into my computer lab, use a math to grid off the page using golden square etc. and creating an art and design project.

The purpose is to show what artists do to create, to show how we teach art and how our students learn. Artists, artist-students would use research, and may use science to look at and explore natural objects, use math make calculations, or literature and technology as a research base for their art projects.
I plan on talking with our STEM teachers and getting their input and maybe rewriting one of their lessons. I plan to read the research out there already. I believe one great research source will be reading the “Art of Critical Thinking”, which shows and demonstrates the philosophy of STEAM as a school wide initiative. I will look for lessons and school systems such as Albemarle already using STEAM lessons.


My goal is to create and teach a few good lessons.  I would then offer a session in my learning plan on how to do this lesson for professional development. I would add it to my blog and share in my teacher portfolio. Possibly, I would share on Artsonia.  I would like to give workshops in the district and eventually present on the state level VAEA conference.  If that were successful I would propose to present at the national level and the NAEA conference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment