Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Thoughts of the Day on Leadership and instituting change

In discussing fine arts with my fine art teacher peers today we have some of the same concerns. Why are we not still not taken seriously as a stand alone discipline. In the scheme of things fine arts is clumped with others into a fine arts elective. Why?  This may be a district issue. One thought from the group involved adobe certification may help a graphic arts program by enabling them to get certification themselves and possibly using that certification as one of their exit standard diploma and technology requirements. I think that may be a nice route to go with my graphic arts class if I can shave out the time for my own certification.

I believe I would like my project to be creating STEAM lessons using the Marzano style format and help make the push toward the addition of art into the STEM equation. I know there is a lot research out there that will help me in my project.

So, today I searched the library and found an overwhelming amount of supporting literature. One thing that stuck out is that there is also a legislative initiative in Great Britain to add the A(arts)  to STEM.  I feel this would be a good legislative question for Senator Kane tomorrow.  I would like to ask him if there is any talk of incorporating the arts into the current stem curriculum to improve higher level critical thinking thereby putting STEAM into STEM.

We had a great discussion about teacher leaders. In reflection the ideal would be a school of all teacher leaders. I remember reading Nelson Mandela's biography he was a great leader. He was a symbol of peace making leading by example not force.  Respect, collaboration, doing what is right, having passion for your beliefs and what you teach; believing that all children can learn in their own way, taking risks, persistence, patience, good communication skills, and having a real presence in the community these are traits of school leaders.  So in my ideal art centered school we can all become school leaders in a rich learning community of sharing and caring.



.


No comments:

Post a Comment